Modern Dance In Practice Project
CCDC’s modern dance workshop for secondary students is the largest-scale programme of the CCDC Dance Centre. The scheme is now in its 21st year since its inception when the Regional Council still existed. Almost 6000 students have joined the scheme so far. Some of them now study dance at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts and some have become professional dancers or instructors.
The scheme now has been extended to serve 12 primary and secondary schools in different districts. Our professional instructors go into campus to provide a 10-month training for students, which includes in-school introductory dance performance, dance camp, teachers dance workshop and children-parents’ day camp. They also choreograph works for students to perform in the annual finale performance “Dancing in the Sun”.
Throughout years of development, the scheme has evolved from a dance course for students to now a systematic and all-round dance-learning experience which also benefits the parents and teachers. This makes the scheme unique and valuable.
School Modern Dance Creation In Practice Project
Highlights and Objectives
- A School-year-long modern dance training programme
- Suitable for participation by primary and secondary schools with a variety of dance experience
- Through a series of training and activities, this modern dance programme aims at enabling students to take a fresh look on themselves, to consider their innate infectious appeal, to cultivate team spirit and empathy, and to learn about respecting, accepting and embracing themselves and others. It also envisions to broaden students’ horizons for the art of dance, and to nurture their interest in art appreciation.
- The programme includes an introductory dance performance, creation and dance training workshop, professional dance appreciation activity, costume and props workshop and the finale performance
- Participating students will have public performances at a professional performance venue
The programme will focus on the training of basic dance techniques as well as dance creation. The instructor will lead the students in developing the body’s potential and uniqueness through improvisational games and creative exercises. Students will be guided to express their own stories through their bodies, thereby cultivating their creative thinking. This will allow students to reacquaint themselves with their own habits, abilities, and feelings, as well as to discover unknown possibilities. Students will also have the opportunity to perform on a professional stage, enriching their experience of stage performance and facilitate their personal growth.
Participating schools of 2022/23 School Modern Dance In Practice Project
- PLK Fong Wong Kam Chuen Primary School
- Stewards Pooi Kei Primary School
- S.K.H. Tseung Kwan O Kei Tak Primary School
- Hong Kong Red Swastika Society Tai Po Secdonary School
- Our Lady’s College
- CCC Chuen Yuen College
- HKICC Lee Shaw Kee School of Creativity
- Pentecostal Lam Hon Kwong School
- CCC Chuen Yuen College
CCDC Dance Centre’s future support to the participating schools after their completion of the Scheme:
- Provide materials for conducting dance activities at schools
- Design and run tailor-made dance courses at schools
- Introduce other dance courses, instructors or dance activies
Prospects of the students who have finished the Scheme:
- Join CCDC Dance Centre’ Scholarship Scheme and further develop their techniques and performing skills
- Continue their training at Dance Centre and perform at our annual showcase as well as other community performances
- Join our WuDaoQingNian project for young adult and perform in the community and overseas
- Study at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Work as a dance instructor, choreographer or a dance administrator
For more details, please refer to the Chinese version.
Application can be submitted online through ‘Art Connect: Arts and Culture Platform for Hong Kong Schools’.
Schools should complete the online application by 11:59pm on 8 June 2023.
Leisure and Cultural Services Department
Tel: 2591 1300
CCDC Dance Centre
Tel: 2326 8597